Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Wall Street by Palmer C. Hayden

 




I decided to do a painting done by Palmer Hayden because his work was the most appealing to me. The painting I chose is titled Wall Street, painted in 1936. A majority of Haydens work is inspired by the physical environment. I believe the purpose of the painting is to capture and inspire American life. The painting consists of a large number of people, a centered church, automobiles, subways, and the U.S. Flag. All of these were items of representation of big city life in the United States. The audience for this painting appears to be the American population. I found it to provide a sense of pride and nationalism. The Genre would be landscape. A large number of Palmer Haydens paintings are of landscapes and structures. The stance on the painting I feel is positive. The sun appears to be setting and everyone is heading home for the night.

1 comment:

  1. Though my interpretation would have been totally different, I like what you've written. Also, you did a good job of applying the rhetorical situation.

    ReplyDelete